Melville Park Minutes|
November 14, 2007
- Meeting Called to Order at 7:00 by E.Rizy, Chairperson
- The following members were present: E.Rizy, P.Higgins, Co-Chair, L. Bryant
Secretary, A. Conti, Treasurer, P. Botelho, K.Ptak & J. Richard.
Excused Absence: T. Gray, G. Williams & E. Love.
- The following member arrived at 7:05, G. Kinnunen
K.GIeason Town Council Liaison arrived at 7:00
- Audience, Jim Garman
The following resignation as Secretary was accepted: L. Bryant
Will remain on committee.
- September/October Minutes will follow
- Karen Gleason, Town Liaison said Town Clerk needs to have a hard copy of the minutes, E. Rizy will submit these.
- Finance: A. Conti Reported:
- Melville Yard Sale Account went from $1,200.00 to $437.00; he will go to Finance to see where $371.00 is located.
- $15,000 MP Site Development Account is now $14,878.46.
- L. Bryant explained coding procedures.
- Correspondence: E. Rizy Reported: None
- MP Bylaws: E. Rizy:
- J. Richard recommends that E. Rizy & T. Gray meet with Bob Driscoll and go over the bylaws.
- Items discussed at the last council meeting involving the Bylaws.
- K. Gleason asked K. Patak to assist T. Gray with the Bylaws.
- Article 3, K. Gleason, Liaison doesn’t think there should be any change.
- Membership items discussed. Terms of Officers.1,2 or 3 year terms. K.Gleason, Liaison feels the size of committee should not be limited and would like to get this changed. Also discussed is from any new volunteers that a letter be written to the committee stating why they would like to preside on the committee and the committee reviews it before placing new members. K. Gleason, Liaison feels there should be a posting to recruit new members and it should read Aquidneck Island Residents. E. Rizy to help K. Gleason, Liaison with Melville Park ad.
- K. Patak feels the name of the area in which this committee is involved should be changed to distinguish between the involved area and Melville Ponds Campground since the two are separate areas.
- Also discussed was signage, E. Rizy will meet with Bill Bryant, Manager of Melville Ponds Campground to discuss this matter.
- Pond Reclamation, P. Higgins
- P. Higgins has worked on Pond #6, with two volunteers and have worked ten hours.
- The deadline for the next Grant is 11/2008. P. Higgins and T. Gray will work on this together. The Town Council is in favor of this.
- K. Gleason recommends that a Power Point Presentation be given to the Town Council.
- P. Higgins noted that work will be done on the green trail this weekend with his volunteers.
- P. Higgins to contact Andrew and discuss his Eagle Scout Project of extending the green trail and mulching it.
- J. Richard wants the committee to spend money on the pond restoration program. P. Higgins will look into it and contact DEM.
- Other: J. Richard
- J. Richard bringing Melville Ponds Campground Budget into meeting. E. Rizy and L. Bryant reminds J. Richard that this committee is not about Melville Ponds Campground, it is about the Hiking Trail and Pond Area.
- E. Rizy for T. Gray and G. Williams
- T.Gray reports the yellow trail is marked with posts and hiking trail signs.
- G. Williams has been on the yellow trail noting the type of floral.
- J. Richard wants Volunteers with a timeline put on projects. The next meeting will discuss volunteer opportunities.
- The red trail needs attention and the orange trail should be handicap accessible.
- E. Rizy will contact Troop 77 from Middletown for a work day in December .
- P. Botelho recommends getting a mini excavator/front end loader for pine and gravel. E. Rizy stated that should be done at a later time.
- K. Gleason recommends getting juveniles from the juvenile board to do their community service in the Melville trail area.
- L. Bryant stated that the juveniles do work for the Melville Ponds Campground and that someone from the committee would have to supervise the community service individuals and work along side of them. No one volunteered to do this at this point.
- Old Business
- J. Richard discussed Youth Programs.
- Subcommittee to help J. Richard is A. Conti, E. Rizy, G. Kinnunen
- J. Richard discuss potential Klondike, 6-8 Scout Troops camping at no charge when Melville Campground is closed. L. Bryant in objection. J. Richard not keeping Melville Park separate from Melville Campground and becoming an issue with other members of the committee.
- E. Rizy stated that any recreation at the Melville area is to be passive.
*** Motion to Adjourn ...P.Higgins . ..2nd ... A.Conti ......8:50...unanimous ***
****** Next Meeting ..... December 12 ... Town Hall... *****