Minutes of the Melville Park Committee Meeting, Wednesday, June 11, 2008 |
Attendees: Phil Botelho, Lisa Bryant, Karen Ptak, Patrick Higgins (Vice-Chair),|
Thurston Gray, Jeffrey Richard, Gene Love, Grace Kinnunen,
Karen Gleason (Council Liaison), Edward Rizy (Chair)
Guests: Jeanne Emerson, Jim Garman, Mike Warren
Absent (excused): Glenn Williams
- Minutes from May Meeting (E. Rizy): moved to accept, T. Gray; second, J. Richard; unanimous
- Finance: (G. Kinnunen) Balance to 6/9/08 &11,854.58. Trail Day Fund: $1629.81, Melville General Fund: $86.86
Ltr fm R. Driscoll, Town Administrator to E. Rizy, MPC Chair re Park/Campground clarifications. Dtd 2 June 2008
Ltr fm E. Pepper, DEM Sn Environ Sci., to M. Lapinsky, Ch., DEM Fish & Wildlife, re aquatic control upper Melville Pond, dtd 6 May 08. Forward from R. Driscoll, Town Administrator
- Pond reclamation subcommittee (P. Higgins, T. Gray, K. Ptak, G. Love)
- Bids opened Friday 23 May at Town Hall. MPC review determined two bidders satisfactory, slight edge to Pare Corporation. Town officials concurred. Company had previous satisfactory performance with Portsmouth projects.
- Interview with successful bidder needed prior to presentation to Council. Request D. Faucher set up meeting ASAP prior to 23 Junr Council meeting to clarify what is intended in Phases 1-3
- Mott Farm ditch project: Weather has continued poor on recent weekends. Motion to allocate $3K to ditch project by J. Richard, second P:. Higgins; unanimous.
- June Trail Work: (E. Rizy) P. Higgins, T. Gray, K. Ptak, will be unavailable, due to other commitments. K. Ptak will provide posters. E. Rizy will notify scout groups, obtain used pallets to bridge Blue trail wetspots. E. Rizy will request B. Bryant to drop more mulch at the Blue and Tank Farm 1 border to continue growth suppression.
- Trail markers need refreshing; some paint has faded. E. Rizy has paint, will also provide 2x6” templates and brushes for Trail Day.
- Storage Facility (P. Higgins): 12x12’ plan, materials ordered, estimated $2020 plus two door frames, totaling about $3000.Construction should start coming weekend, June 12.
- Additional tools needed for park maintenance: weed wacker, rakes, pitchforks,. Motion by J. Richard to commit $1K for tools, T. Gray seconded. Approved.
- Budget for Next Year: still assuming $15K, based on earlier report.
- Scout Projects:
- Committee committed $686 to buy additional materials over and above leftovers of bridging projects for three picnic benches being emplaced in upper area of Pond 9. Project being completed by Tim Garrold, Troop 22 Newport.
- Andrew Loughlin, Troop 7 Middletown, will be clearing southwest corner of Blue Trail to the riprap dam of Pond 9.
Motion to Adjourn: J. Richard, 2nd P. Higgins, 8:55; unanimous,
- Aquidneck Intertribal Indian Council (AIIC) leader Donald Sly (Three Horses Sly Fox) requested the exclusive use of a small portion of Melville Park for Indian council fire ring. This area would be used for Indian lore education for scouts and other groups. Possibly a tepee or round house would be erected. A coming-of-age ceremony for one council member, involving four days of fasting and contemplation, would take place at this site; another person would stand guard 24 hours over the safety of the individual and the site for this four-day period. An area across from the former government fire station was proposed as appropriate.
- Much discussion ensued about the appropriateness of dedicating any specific area to exclusive use by any group.
- K. Ptak quested a written proposal, just a few paragraphs, for further committee consideration.
- A proposed naming ceremony at noon on July 13 can take place at Pond 9, as the park is opened to the public, including any group, on a non-exclusive basis. The public will be invited to the ceremony.
- E. Rizy will refer the matter to R. Driscoll for direction.
- Park T-Shirts: J. Emerson, prospective member, distributed a proposed design for a park t-shirt.
- Calendar of Events: as requested at last meeting, E. Rizy presented a proposed calendar, including: Winter Walk, mid-February’ 1st cleanup before fishing season opening day; Trail Day, June; Field Day, early August; Yard Sale c. 20 September; Last Cleanup, late Oct-Nov.
- ‘Vision for Melville Recreation Area’: as requested at last meeting, E. Rizy presented thoughts on the park future development, including making the falls area safe and restoring the cataract; opening Mott Farm Road for daytime picnic use and beach access; installing stairs to the beach; and encouraging civic and educational groups to help develop, document and use the park.
- L. Bryant objected to using vehicle access to Mott Farm Road as difficult to police and clean up.
- Committee will consider document/
- Next Meeting: committee will meet at Town Hall Wednesday, July 8, at 6 p.m.
Edward Rizy, Acting Secretary