Melville Park Minutes|
June 13, 2007
National Trail Day Results:
- Meeting Called to Order at 7:05 by Ed Rizy, Vice Chairman
- Members present: Grace Kinnunen, Al Conti, Lisa Bryant, Patrick Higgins,
Philip Botelho, Thurston Gray, Eugene Love, Jeffrey Richard, & Karen Ptak.
- The following member was absent: Glenn Williams.
- Karen Gleason, the Town Council Liaison was present.
- Jim Garman was present.
- April's Minutes:
Motion to Approve: ... A.Conti ... 2nd ... J. Williams ... unanimous
- May's Minutes:
Motion to Approve:... J.Richard ...2nd ...G.Love ...unanimous
- Election Of Chairperson:
- Motion: to nominate E. Rizy as Chairman: ... A.Conti .... 2nd ... Eugene Love
Motion passed .... J. Richard .... opposed
- J.Richard questioned how E.Rizy could be Chairman as he was
a Middletown resident.
- E.Rizy noted that the matter had been brought up to the Town Council
and they had approved his being Chairperson if such a vote occurred.
- G.Love highlighted E.Rizy's history in the park since the original
committee was formed. He also noted E. Rizy has been a continuing
volunteer working on the trails as an individual & as a Boy Scout
leader and has been an activist for the park since the park began.
- J.Garman noted that Bob Driscoll had also approved of this.
- K. Gleason noted that a spokesperson could be appointed to speak
before the Town Council when needed.
- J.Richard noted that he would look into the situation further.
- Motion to nominate P. Higgins Vice Chairman:
A.Conti ... 2nd ... L.Bryant .... unanimous
Discuss Mission Statement & Proposed Charter for Melville Park:
- (K. Gleason) & T.Gray had excellent photos for committee.
- E. Rizy sent thank you notes to the scouts.
- K. Gleason noted PR as a thank you option.
- G. Kinnunen noted that the committee had need for members who
did not have a "niche" as yet might offer their help in distributing the work
load. K .Gleason and Karen Ptak volunteered to do PR for Melville Park.
- J.Richard offered to be the Boy Scout & Girl Scout Liaison and asked
E. Rizy for a list of all the troop leaders.
- Major trail cleaning was done.
- Girl Scouts placed sticks across a muddy area.
- Blue Trail received some attention.
- Poison Ivy a big concern.
- K.GIeason suggested using " Aquidneck Island " in the charter.
Also suggested that an application for committee membership be created &
that she has concluded as a result of her research that 13 members is not
a permanent member limit... it can be changed.
- E.Rizy will talk to B.Bryant as to who is going to be responsible for what at Melville Park.
- E.Rizy requested that the charter project be deferred to July's meeting.
- Committee consensus .... unanimous
Melville Park Brochure:
- T.Gray prepared a presentation of the web site he had produced for MP.
He noted that the web site was not to be of a political nature.
He stressed that the web site would publicize and promote the facility.
The MP Committee unanimously applauded Thurston for his excellent work
- T.Gray's work on Melville Park Brochure was also presented.
Thurston was thanked for his work on the cover photo as well as the brochure
which will be ready for distribution as soon as up dates are done.
Waterway Survey Plan:
- A.Conti reported that the Yard Sale account has $1,328.89.
- Tour on June 19th with Mike Kenyon ( meet at Pond 1 .. in back of Melville School)
of the Natural Resource Conservation Svc. USDI. So. Rl district.
- Ed will seek advice as to pond & dam conditions .... what ponds would be easier to start
with ... what forms are needed for Interior Dept. ... what matching funds are
available for Melville Park.
Ed will get verbal as well as written information from Mike.
He will also ask for Mike's input as to the water problem involving the Hilltop & King's Grant areas & the water flow problem affecting Melville Park land.
- None prepared at this time.
|*** Motion to Adjourn ...L.Bryant ...2nd ... J.Richard ...8:50***
***** Next Meeting .....July 12,2007..... Town Hall*****