Melville Park Minutes|
January 9, 2008
Meeting Called to Order at 7:00 by E.Rizy, Chairperson
- The following members were present: P.Higgins, Co-Chair; T. Gray, L. Bryant, K.Ptak, A. Conti, G. Kinnunen, J. Richard. & E.Rizy.
Excused Absence: E. Love, P. Botelho, G. Williams.
- K.Gleason Town Council Liaison, was not in attendance.
- Audience: Rusty Heilhecker from North Carolina
- Minutes: December minutes approved name correction, Bryant sted Bryan. A. Conti made motion, seconded by L. Bryant; approved unanimous
- A. Conti reported recent expenditures for park development, including trail sign, posts and mounting, totaling $340.37, leaving a balance of $14,659.63 in the annual allotment. Other accounts total $1799.89.
- Correspondence: E. Rizy Reported: None
- P. Higgins has explored contacting the Champlin Foundations for funding reclamation of the ponds. This organization provides monies for a variety of civic and private developments. For our proposal they require proof of ownership and a firm cost estimate. Mr. Higgins then contacted five contractors to begin the estimation process but they were concerned about DEM requirements, the marshy nature of the land, and need for an engineering firm to provide a basis for estimate.
- Mr. Higgins contacted an engineering firm to agreed to do the necessary study with payment contingent on Portsmouth getting an award. The Council and Town Administrator will be informed to get permission to advertise for a Request for Proposals for an engineering study. Motion to approve to proceed: L. Bryant, second K. Ptak; unanimous approved.
- P. Higgins also wanted to contact the Navy for possible sources, since it is former Navy land and naval personnel are among the frequent users of the park.
- T. Gray reported that trails are generally in good shape. Some places on the Blue trail are slippery due to mud or dry leaves. There is a large branch blocking part of the Yellow trail.
J. Richard and E. Rizy discussed feasibility of holding Klondike Derby at Melville in 2009. E. Rizy checked with M. Brown, Pokanoket District Executive, who was in favor because it would be a new site. Estimated attendance about 150. J. Richard will attend a district meeting 10 January for further information and contacts.
Mott Farm Road Ditch:
- J. Richard also discussed need for school involvement for park tours, and nature study. He will contact Melville School to determine interest. E. Rizy will furnish G. Williams with a document generated by Raytheon employees for an Interpretive Trail Guide; this may be a template for a Melville guide, covering trees, plants, and animal life, to be used by science classes in tours of the Park.
- E. Rizy reported that the multi-troop cleanup of the ditch, slated for December 15, was cancelled due to icy conditions. Committee members recommended contacting Portsmouth DPW to request help in clearing the ditch of bushes and trees, to increase the flow of water down to the bay and not across the road.
Motion to Adjourn: P. Higgins. 2nd, A. Conti.8:40; unanimous
- A presentation to the Town Council is scheduled for 28 January, to cover the revised bylaws, overview of the area, and need for a Melville Recreation Area sign on West Main Road. The proposed sign would be identical to the one on Bradford Road at the entrance to the Park. T. Gray and E. Rizy will work up the presentation.
- Need for a “Mutt Mitt Stand” was discussed. Two installations were proposed, for installation at the upper and lower parking lots. Motion by G. Kinnunen, A. Conti seconded; unanimous approval. E. Rizy to contact Public Works. Discussion ensued about unleashed dogs using the park. E. Rizy will check with Town Clerk about ordinances.
- Budget Discussions started with an initial proposal. The committee discussed needs of the Park and agreed to budget three items for this fiscal year: a tool shed, power tools for trail maintenance, and tree signs. Committee members will further define items and prices for the next meeting.
Next Meeting: February 13 at Town Hall