Melville Park Minutes|
December 13, 2006
- Meeting Called to Order at 7:15 by B. Bryant, Chairperson
- The following members were present: B. Bryant, E. Rizy, G. Kinnunen, A. Conti,
L. Bryant , P. Botelho, and T. Gray
- The following member was absent: B. Harmon.
The following members have resigned: M. Caplin and J. Garman.
- Minutes: Voted to approve 9/13 meeting minutes e-mailed to members by E.Rizy.
Motion to approve: T. Gray ... 2nd ... E. Rizy ... unanimous
- Discuss Final Plans For National Trail Day 2007:
- B.Bryant suggested that the event should be held on NTD or as close as possible to the official day ... optimizing PR. and attendance .
- Asked the committee to think about the event & offer ideas at next meeting
- WADK & COX Cable would be good to appear on for PR.
- Discuss Future Projects For Melville Park:
- E.Rizy noted the need for the trails to be sprayed for weeds.
- T.Gray noted that the cement stepping stones on spillway are out of place.
- B. Bryant & T. Gray will walk the area.
- E.Rizy noted that the Melville Development Plan needs to be reviewed for planning purposes : one such project .... work on small pond ... clean out to offer habitats for wild life .... also pull other projects from list for 07.
- A.Conti, Treasurer reported $300 in the Melville Park Committee account, $5,000 in the Park Site Development account, and $1,434.46 in the Melville Yard Sale account.
- B. Bryant suggested exploring any possible grants from DEM ..... especially for fish & wildlife improvement projects.... and for pond improvement.
- Motion made to: Authorize B. Bryant to represent the MP Committee for securing grants from DEM and any other available sources.
*** T. Gray ... 2nd ... E. Rizy unanimous
*** Next Meeting ... January 11, 2007 .... Town Hall ****
- P. Higgins noted that the 1st pond needs repair.
- B. Bryant suggested using a liquid that will rid the ponds
of " duck weed " where needed.
- A. Conti suggested that the ponds be named to make ID easier when planning work on the ponds at Melville.
- B. Bryant suggested changing the lower pond's name.
- A. Conti noted that the parking lot near Melville School & the pond needs more clearing for more parking spots. B. Bryant said he could go in & enlarge area. E. Rizy noted that the Sea Bees could be contacted for clearing
- P.Botelho noted that machinery can be rented to clear & then mulch.
- T. Gray suggested 4x4 posts with signs for Red Trail where needed.
- B. Bryant noted that when the ponds are stocked the area needed to come thru gets over grown quickly ... last year crushed stone was put down for easier walking ....also .. the area should be trimmed in March close to opening day.
- B.Bryant said the lower parking lot is not an area that can be used for MP any more ...it has become a storage area for Town brush & mulch.
- B.Bryant noted that " No Hunting " signs are needed.
- It was suggested that National Grid be asked to clear Mott Farm Road.
- P.Botelho, P.Higgins, & A.Conti will look into the King's Grant area to see if a sewerage concern originates from there.
- P.Higgins volunteered to do the MP Brochure for the 06 season.
G.Kinnunen offered to help if needed & will do the PR panel for display.
- Motion was made that B. Bryant would request that the town place an ad for new Melville Park Committee members.
*** P. Higgins ... 2nd ... E. Rizy unanimous
- Motion to Adjourn: ... B. Bryant ... G. Kinnunen ... 2nd ... 8:35