Melville Park Minutes|
August 9, 2006
- Meeting Called to Order at 7:00 by B. Bryant, Chairperson
- The following members were present; B. Bryant, E. Rizy, G. Kinnimen,
A. Conti, J. Garman, Pat Higgins, M. Caplin, & L. Bryant.
- The following member had an excused absence: B. Harmon
- Thurston Gray was present ... awaiting Council appointment to MPC.
- Minutes: Secretary G. Kinnunen: distributed at meeting.
- Motion to Approve: M. Caplin ... 2nd ... J. Garman ... unanimous
- Boy Scout Troop #l Proposed Eagle Scout Project: Ben Shaw .... Mr. Chaves.
- Ben will construct 4 weather proof bulletin boards for Melville Park.
4 x 4 free standing with roof... 8 ft. tall out of ground.
Will re hab the 2 existing ones.
Colors will be similar to the colors currently being used.
- Motion: Donate $200 for sign materials and additional funds if needed.
*** M.Caplin ... 2nd ... Al Conti ... unanimous
- B. Bryant suggested funding 2 from Melville Park funds &
2 from Melville Camp funds -- initial donation of $200.00
- J. Garman suggested having a liaison from the Committee & the Scout
to oversee the materials chosen for the project.
- B. Bryant was suggested for the liaison.
- Discuss Final Plans For The 9/23/06 Yard Sale.
- A. Conti will do informational fliers & take to St. Barnabas Fair &
other locations in town.
- L. Bryant & A. Conti will accept calls from persons wanting tables.
- Sale will be 9 to 3:00
- Trail Tours will be given at 10, 11, 12, and 1:00 ... thus combining
the Fall Trail Day with the Yard Sale.
- A. Conti asked that all PR note that $ goes to Melville Park
for Park iniprovements.
- Discuss & Set Date For a Fall Trail Day.
- Trail Day will be combined with the Yard Sale.
- Discuss Future Projects: B. Bryant
- B. Bryant would like to see trail work completed as stated in
our official list of Proposed Melville Park Projects.
- Noted that the Red Trail would be a good trail to concentrate on.
- Noted that $15,000 Melville Park Fund was used for trail
maintenance, docks, fill, floating & docks.
Also, Camp staff was used when possible & separate time cards were
used to keep the accounts straight
- B.Bryant & P.Mello spent time working on Mott Farm Road.
- E.Rizy suggested that island scout leaders be contacted for "community
service" type opportunities at MP for their scouts.
- B. Bryant noted the need for 3 or 4 community volunteers are needed for
work on Mott Farm Road. Need to ID problems there ... contact
appropriate people to help or be directed to some one who can.
- B. Bryant, A. Conti, P. Botelho, & P. Higgins will meet & then go to Mott
Farm Road to see where the sewerage leak is & possible remedies.
- Discuss Future of Tank Farms:
- B.Bryant suggested that the Camp & Park continue to have access to them
for stocking Trout Pond.
- J. Garman sdid the Tank Farm area could possibly be used for
a sewerage treatment facility.
- A.Conti suggested that we send a letter to Helen Mathiew about above idea.
- J.Garman noted that the Annual Report will inform her of our idea.
- Finance Report: A. Conti
- A.Conti reported that our Yard Sale Account had a balance of $ 1,068.46.
The Site Development has $5,000.00. (both as of 8/8/06)
- Also noted the Melville Park's new funding is $15,000.
$2,840.00 of last fiscal years funding went back to the Town.
- B.Bryant praised Thurston Gray's " Melville Pond Walking Trails " recently presented on the web & is fantastic ... unanimous !
and ... a huge " thank you " !
- G. Kinnunen gave a brief report on a recent presentation "A Study
of Coyotes" on Aquidenck Island & Jamestown. One of our
Proposed Projects is to someday conduct a survey of animal and
plant life on the Melville property. This study could help gather
needed information. The web site is;
- E.Rizy suggested a trail marker color change on the Orange Trial.
- Motion: To make the lower loop of the Orange Trail that looped around
water tower become Yellow.
E.Rizy ... M.Caplin .... 2nd .... 6 yes .... 2 ... no .... motion carried.
- Motion to Adjourn: ... B.Bryant... E. Rizy ... 2nd .... 8:30 ... unanimous
***** Next Meeting ... September 13, 2006 .... Melville Camp Pavillion *****